Thursday, May 7, 2009
PUBLIC INFORMATION ANNOUNCEMENT
For Immediate Release
May 7, 2009
Clay County Sheriff’s Office Conducts Police Memorial Ceremony Tonight
The Clay County Sheriff’s Office will conduct its annual ceremony in recognition of Police Memorial Week tonight at Ridgeview High School at 7pm. The school is located on Madison Avenue in Orange Park, one block west of Blanding Boulevard. The ceremony will be held inside the school’s cafetorium.
Law enforcement personnel from various local agencies and from across our region will attend this event held to recognize the sacrifice of men and women who died in the line of duty while protecting their communities. Surviving family members of Clay County’s seven fallen heroes are the guests of honor and are part of the ceremony if they are able to attend.
The following men are on the Clay County Sheriff’s Office Wall of Honor:
• Sgt. Kenneth “Eddie” Hayes (Died May 26, 2002)
• Deputy Wilson Walker (Died December 17, 1994)
• Auxiliary Deputy Arthur Caton (Died July 15, 1979)
• Sgt. Richard Watkins (Died May 3, 1976)
• Sheriff Theodore Cherry (Died July 6, 1913)
• Sheriff Charles Wilson (Died July 10, 1906)
• Sheriff Josephus Peeler (Died May 10, 1894)
Tonight’s ceremony will include the CCSO Honor Guard, musical presentations, comments from Sheriff Rick Beseler, the 2008 roll-call of line of duty deaths, a last radio call/dispatch and special prayers.
Members of the media and the public at large are welcome to attend this event.